October 26, 2020
2020 Fall Virtual Conference
Day 1 - October 26, 2020
MONDAY, OCTOBER 26 - SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
10:00am Welcome, Announcements & Sponsor Information
10:15am The CBO’s Role in Governance
Panelists: Dr. Bonnie Ann Dowd, Executive VC, Business & Technology Services, San Diego CCD; Morris Rodrigue, VP Administrative Services, Mt. San Antonio College; Ann-Marie Gabel, VC Business Services, South Orange County CCD; Aaron Brown, VC Business & Financial Services, Riverside CCD
Panelists will share some of their best practices and lessons learned related to working with a CEO and Board members as the district’s Chief Business Officer (CBO) with a focus on maintaining good working relationships while keeping a district fiscally solvent. This will be an interactive session that will include insights based upon their collective knowledge and years of experience on such topics as:
- How to handle questions from Board members that come to you directly?
- How should you prepare for Closed Session meetings?
- How to explain changes in estimates to your CEO, Board and various other constituents?
- How to anticipate Board questions and prepare for them?
- How to interact with your CEO?
- How to establish a relationship with either your newly hired CEO or a brand new CEO with limited experience?
- How to give your CEO bad news and ultimately translate it for the Board?
- How to work with the various constituent groups at a district (i.e. Academic Senate vs. Faculty bargaining unit, Classified Senate vs. Classified bargaining unit, etc.)?
- Why it is important to attend Board meetings regularly even if you aren’t the district CBO?
- Why it is important to build relationships with a district’s various constituent groups?
- How to remain “sane” in what sometimes feels like an “insane” environment?/li>
12:00pm Lunch Break
2:00pm Announcements & Sponsor Information
2:15pm The New Teleworking Environment
Panelists: Mario Rodriguez, VC Finance & Administration, Los Rios CCD; Cindy Vyskocil, VC Human Resources, South Orange County CCD; Gene Huff, EVC Administrative Services, Contra Costa CCD; Eileen O’Hare Anderson, Partner, LCW; Jennifer Shaw, Principle, Shaw Law Group, PC; Wrenna Finche, Assistance Vice Chancellor of College Finance and Facilities Planning, CCCCO
An interactive session that will include:
- How to provide oversight/supervision in a remote environment
- How to comply with ADA and other labor laws in a remote environment
- Collective bargaining impacts with labor in a remote environment (various leaves, reporting, handling cases, etc.)
- How to pay for the costs of working in a remote environment (computing devices, internet access, etc.) with CARES Act and/or COVID BG funding
- The future of work in a remote environment how to support the likelihood of ongoing remote work such as developing best practices now for supervision, discipline, etc)
- Considerations for returning to campus pre and post-vaccine (safety, mandated vaccines, care for buildings, etc.)